Monday, December 18, 2006

It's Jagodzinski

Boston.com is now reporting that Jags is the man.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I will say that 2 weeks ago I would've liked this hire a lot, and my less than total enthusiasm about it now is not a result of me souring on Jags but rather the fact that I got carried away and fired up for Whipple.

The 3 main things that worry me with Jags are the lack of success of the Packers' offense this year, his relative lack of college experience, and the fact that most of the college experience he does have was as an offensive assistant under TOB.

That said, I do think he has tremendous positives as well. He did do a pretty good job with BC's offense during his time in Chestnut Hill, and he seems to have the right type of personality for the job. Building a strong staff will be essential for him, due to his lack of experience in the college game. He will also need a good recruiting coordinator; Notre Dame WR coach Rob Ianello is a name that has been repeatedly tossed around for this job. Jags' NFL ties will also help in recruiting, although it still would've been nice to have a guy who could pull out a Super Bowl ring on the recruiting trail.

There's also still the possibility that Richmond head coach Dave Clawson will come on board as the new OC. Also, it seems likely at this point that Spaz will stay on board as will most of the defensive staff, which is another move that has both positives and negatives.

At the end of the day, I don't think this is the ideal hire but I think it's a good hire. I'm certainly willing to give Jags a shot. And hell, TOB is gone--we should all be happy.

1 Comments:

At 12:08 AM, Blogger ORDEagle said...

Hmmm - pro coordinator, no head coaching experience, but a former BC assistant with a fiery attitude and not a household name.

On the other hand, the guy has a plan for how to beat the big guys and bring the facilites closer into line with the rest of the big league. He might just inject life into a program that can't seem to get over the hump and beat the good teams. The incumbent coach who has been there 10 years, has become too predictable and never seems to hold himself or the team accountable for the inexcusable losses.

Jags and TOB? Nope Tom Coughlin and Jack Bicknell. It is downright spooky! Worked out well for BC and Coughlin who somehow was able to learn this head coaching thing well enough to get a couple of big NFL jobs. If it goes as well for Jags, I hope he can stay longer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?