Sunday, April 08, 2007

Worst Loss Ever

After consideration, I've come to the conclusion that that was the most painful loss of my life. Not even as a BC fan--with any team. Think about that for a second; I'm a Philadelphia sports fan.

Syracuse. Miami. Wake Forest (over and over again). Wisconsin a year ago. Maine in the 2004 Frozen Four. Villanova. All those Eagles NFC Championship Games. The Eagles-Pats Super Bowl. Flyers-Lightning in the playoffs the year before the lockout. US-Ghana in the World Cup. Hell, I'll even throw in the time last year when one of the hottest girls I've ever seen gave me her number and I accidentally deleted it from my phone 30 minutes after leaving the party.

Last night topped all of them.

(No, I didn't forget Joe Carter's home run. I was a Blue Jays fan growing up because the first major league game I went to was in Toronto, and although I cheered for the Phillies when they played anyone else, I actually got to celebrate that one.)

I'm not even going to go into detail about the game because it's just going to piss me off even more. Maybe in a few days, but not now.

I just want to commiserate about what a fucking kick in the balls that was. I've honestly never
been more hurt by any sporting event in my entire life.

Last night was one of those nights where I would've given anything to just not give a shit about sports at all. To be able to see the game, say "Eh, that sucks" afterwards, and continue with my life. There's no logical reason why I continue to subject myself to this. Yet I know that come October I'll be right back there in Conte Forum (in spirit, if I can't make it in person) truly believing that this year it'll be different. Same deal with Alumni Stadium and Lincoln Financial Field in September. I wish I could just switch off and stop caring and invest my time, money, energy, and emotions into something that isn't going to end up turning around and taking a sledgehammer to my balls at the end of the day, but it is what it is.

And still almost 3 weeks until the spring game?? This fucking sucks.

8 Comments:

At 5:09 PM, Blogger Joe Grav said...

agreed. im sulking at home right now in my room and my family is like 'get over it, get over it,' but i can't. it sucks.

 
At 12:17 AM, Blogger Linda said...

Umm....word. I thought there had to be a worse loss, coming from Philly, but I was too young to truly appreciate the '93 World Series, I never cared enough about the Sixers, and being swept kind of just makes it clear you're not supposed to win (Flyers-Wings '97, etc.). I think the Eagles' losses in the NFC championship games come closest from pro sports. Last year's loss to Wisconsin is definitely up there too. I never trusted the football team (still don't trust?) enough to be emotionally angry at their losses, just disgusted at the overall games based on the view of a sports fan.

 
At 12:40 AM, Blogger Alex F. said...

Tampa was definitely the worst of the NFC championship game losses. With the Rams game we were kinda just happy to be there, and the Panthers game was kinda like BC-Syracuse--it sucked, but we were never really in it.

 
At 2:55 AM, Blogger Linda said...

Umm yes. Especially since they ended up playing a hecka weak Oakland team. And, more importantly, I hate Jon Gruden.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Anabasis said...

what about McNabb's lunchtoss during the 2 minute drill in SB XXXIX? If Brady was heaving and Belichick lost the ability to tell time when down 3 in the biggest game of his life I think I'd have a psychotic break.

As bad as this loss was, it didn't hurt me too bad because I was a fan when we won in 2001. I'm guessing that puts me in the vast minority of current BC students.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Joe Grav said...

I was a fan too, but I was in 8th grade. Might as well be forever ago.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Alex F. said...

My biggest complaint with the Super Bowl was that we had the Pats on their heels, Brady and the O-line completely flustered, the home crowd was rocking, and then we got a 7-0 lead and completely took our foot off the gas. Andy Reid was channeling Tom O'Brien that night. McNabb's dry-heaving didn't bother me because I didn't notice it at the time, and in any event I don't see what the big deal is--he threw a TD pass a play or 2 later (the same thing happened when he was at Syracuse, in fact I think it might've been right before the play that won them the BE title against Va Tech). The Super Bowl was an atrocious loss to be sure but not as bad as Saturday or even as bad as the Bucs or Panthers NFC title game losses.

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Alex F. said...

And no, I had no connection to BC in '01 so it didn't do anything for me (although I did make my first campus visit a few weeks after the title game and bought a National Champs sweatshirt which I still wear all the time to this day).

First sporting event that I was a BC fan for was the Music City Bowl against Georgia in '01 (wasn't at school yet but had just gotten in a few days earlier and pretty much had decided to go).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?